If you’re looking for ways to make money writing online, you’re in luck. Writing is among the top ways to generate income online, and many different opportunities available online for writers.
It doesn’t matter whether you’re a beginner or an experienced writer. You can earn a living from writing if you have basic writing skills and are always open to learning new things. Besides, numerous AI writing assistants online can help you produce high-quality pieces of writing faster.
This blog post will discuss the best and most profitable ways to make money writing online. You’ll also get tips on how to start and what to look for when choosing a writing opportunity. Most of these ideas on writing for money are either freelance or part-time, meaning you can choose when to work and how long!
How to Make Money Writing
Want to get paid to write? Check out the foolproof ideas below.
1. Content Writing
One of the easiest ways to make money writing is to create content for businesses. This can include blog posts, articles, web page content, and more. Companies are always looking for high-quality content to help them improve their online presence and reach more customers.
As a freelance content writer, you can sign up with a content marketing agency or work with businesses directly. Once you have a portfolio of work, getting more clients and making more money will be easier.
Getting started with content writing:
- Publish your work samples online for free
- Email website owners that may need new content writers
- Look for content writing jobs on freelance marketplaces like Fiverr and Upwork
- Sell content writing services on your site
How much money can you make from content writing? If you’re getting paid per word, your charges can start from $0.05 per word as a beginner. You can easily make $50 fast from just one 1,000-word article.
Copywriting is another great way to make money writing online. Copywriters create marketing materials like website content, brochures, and email campaigns. They help businesses sell their products or services by creating compelling and persuasive copies for use in marketing.
If you’re a good writer and have a knack for persuasion, copywriting could be an excellent opportunity for you. Many copywriting jobs are available online, and you can also work directly with businesses.
Getting started with copywriting:
- Complete a free copywriting course to learn marketing
- Create a portfolio of your best work to showcase to potential clients
- Network with businesses that need copywriters
- Find copywriting jobs on freelance sites
How much money can you make from copywriting? Expect to earn around $0.05 per word or $50 per hour if you’re new but quite a good copywriter.
This is yet another way to get paid to write if you don’t mind someone else taking the credit. Ghostwriting is all about writing for another person or business, and the work will be published under their name.
Ghostwriting can be a great opportunity if you’re looking to make some extra money writing online. You can find many ghostwriting jobs on freelance job boards or contact businesses directly.
Getting started with ghostwriting:
- Look for ghostwriting gigs on job boards
- Email authors or businesses that you want to write for
- Gather testimonials from your first clients to gain the trust of other prospects
How much money can you make from ghostwriting? Ghostwriters can earn $20 to $100 per hour depending on the project, whether a short guide or a longer piece.
4. Editing and Proofreading
If you have a good eye for detail, editing and proofreading could be the perfect way to make money writing online. There is always a demand for high-quality editing and proofreading services, meaning you can make a good income from this type of work.
You need good grammar skills to excel in this type of work. The reason is that your job will be to capture mistakes like spelling, punctuation, and more in people’s documents. They’ll be relying on your expertise before publishing their content online.
Getting started with editing and proofreading:
- Complete a free online course to improve your skills
- Find editing and proofreading jobs on job boards or contact businesses directly
- Go to proofreading sites that connect clients with qualified proofreaders
How much money can you make from editing and proofreading? Expect earnings ranging from $15 to $30 per hour.
If you’re passionate about a particular topic, then you can make money writing by starting your own blog. Many bloggers make good money from simply publishing high-quality content on their sites.
Blogging is a great online moneymaking idea because it gives you the freedom to write about whatever topics you want. Once set up the right way, you can easily make money while you sleep.
There are many ways to monetize your blog so you can make a good income from it. You can earn revenue through ads, sponsorships, affiliate marketing, and other monetization methods.
Getting started with blogging:
- Choose a niche that you’re passionate about
- Build your website using a web designer, a site building tool, or a website template
- Start writing articles for your blog
- Promote your blog through social media and other channels
- Monetize your blog with ads, products, or services
How much money can you make from blogging? There’s no limit to the income you can generate by blogging. New bloggers that get a few thousand page views can earn $100 to $1,000 per month. Established blogs make tens or hundreds of thousands in revenue.
6. Becoming a guest contributor
A guest contributor writes articles for another person or business’s website. Becoming a guest contributor can be a great way to get your name out there and make some extra money writing online.
To become a guest contributor, you need to find websites that accept submissions from guest writers. Once you’ve found a few good prospects, reach out and pitch your ideas. If they’re interested, you can start writing articles for them.
Getting started with guest contribution:
- Research websites that accept submissions from guest writers on Google
- Pitch your ideas to the website’s editors via email or LinkedIn
- If accepted, write and submit your article
How much money can you make from guest contributions? Guest contributors can earn $50 to $200 for each published piece or more if they’re experienced.
7. Writing an e-book
Have knowledge of something that people can pay to get? If that’s the case, you can earn money by writing an e-book and selling it online.
E-books are a great way to make money writing because you can reach a global audience with your work. They can be sold on Amazon, other online retailers, or on your own website.
Getting started with writing an e-book:
- Choose a topic that you’re knowledgeable about
- Create an outline for your e-book
- Write and format your book
- Publish your book on Amazon or other online selling platforms
- Promote your book through social media and other channels
How much money can you make from writing an e-book? E-books typically sell for $0.99 to $50. The average price is around $12. You’ll earn 70 percent of the list price for each book sold on Amazon. If you sell your e-book on your own website, you can set your own price and keep 100 percent of the revenue.
8. Writing poems and stories
This is one of the best ideas to earn money writing if you’re a creative person. You can make money by writing poems, short stories, and even novels.
There are many ways to make money from your creative poems and stories, including selling your work on Amazon, other online retailers, or your own website. You can also submit your work to literary magazines and journals.
Getting started with writing poems and stories:
- Decide on what you’ll write
- Write and format your poem or story
- Edit and revise your work
- Submit your work to literary magazines or journals
- Enter poem and short story contests online
- Share your work on social media and other channels to build an audience
How much money can you make from writing poems and stories? Poems typically sell for $1 to $200, while short stories usually make between $100 and $500. If you take part in contests, you could win a fortune.
9. Slogan writing
Did you know you can get paid to write slogans? Slogan writing is a fun and easy way to make money online. It can suit you if you have a way with words.
Many brands are constantly emerging and need slogans to connect with their audiences. Also, established companies rebrand from time to time.
Getting started with slogan writing:
- Writes some slogan examples that people can see
- Offer slogan writing services to businesses on sites like Fiverr.
- Join a slogan contest site
How much money can you make from writing slogans? You can earn $50 to $500 on each good slogan you write.
What Are the Requirements to Make Money Writing?
Besides your computer and some writing skills, you need the following tools to be an influential writer and access better opportunities:
- A grammar checker to improve writing
- A readability test tool
- A plagiarism checker to ensure originality
Grammarly is one writing assistant with all the features you need to ensure your content is quality.
Where Can I Get Paid for Writing?
You can get paid to write online on various freelance marketplaces. On such platforms, you’ll find all sorts of writing jobs. These include content writing, copywriting, ghostwriting, short story writing, and slogan writing.
Wrapping It up
So, these are some of the best ideas to make money writing. If you’re a creative writer or just looking for ways to make extra cash, give one of these a try.
You’ll need to put in the most effort while starting out to allow you to do less work in the future. Who knows, you might just make a career out of it! Thanks for reading, and happy writing!